it's that time again. i always like this post. i cheated in that some of the answers didn't really change from last year. most of them did.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
wrote, created, and performed my own work. applied for grants for my own work. directed for a company that was not my own. performed at jon hassler (RIP). everything about producing/making tiny clandestines was new. worked on two (or more) shows at once; worked on two fringe shows in one season. worked with sandbox theatre. had a major accident. paid off my school loan.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i didn't make any. i probably won't make any this year. i can already see what my life holds in store for the next few months....possibly into the summer. just accomplishing those things in way that i can be proud of myself will be good enough.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
my sister had her 5th boy, vince, in august. anissa had a boy, joe had a girl. quite a few people in my outer circle birthed people as well.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no. thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
the country of stress and crazy. i really need a vacation.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
i would like a cuddle date with a red panda, same as last year. this answer refuses to change until i get one. i would like to be debt free. i'm working on it. very close. i would also like a vacation, some more down time, and some savings, obvi.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
theatre of the tiny clandestines. 5 5ths. walking into fringe central and having a whole table shout "THE SOUND! OF! FOOD!" at me. joey and jenna's wedding. seeing barebones for the first time. moving in with derek. labor day weekend with derek, isabel and diogo, and gemma and mark.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
theatre of the tiny clandestines. the sound of food. 5 5ths. the boyd girls. paying off my school loans.
9. What was your biggest failure?
getting into a car accident and totaling my car.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i was down with flu/cold business in february and may, i seem to have developed some plantar's faschitis around october, and my accident caused me some serious guilt and heartache, but otherwise fine.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
my parents. i will never be the daughter they really deserve.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
my old apartment building manager was kind of a cunt.
14. Where did most of your money go?
school loan and theatre of the tiny clandestines.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
theatre of the tiny clandestines. auditions for elephant's graveyard. fringe--like always.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
i spent the entire year listening to my songs in alphabetical order, so nothing from my own playlist jumps out. i would probably have to say some of the songs from turn signals: "thrift store," madonna's "holiday," "if you don't know me by now," abba's "take a chance on me," "bringing in the sheaves," "your love keeps lifting me."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? same
b) thinner or fatter? a little fatter.
c) richer or poorer? for the moment, poorer, but soon to be richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
seeing my family. working out. playing video games.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
stressing out. working.
20. How will you be spending Christmas 2013?
thanks to a snowstorm and derek being in IL, i spent it alone. but it was nice and quiet and i saw my family later in the week.
21. How will you be spending New Years 2013?
i wanted to go to my parents, but we're both exhausted (and possibly getting sick), so we stayed in and cooked for each other and watched stand up comedians on netflix.
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
i stayed in love.
23. How many one-night stands?
same answer every year: zero.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
doctor who. what not to wear. avatar: the last airbender. louie. adventure time.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
ready player one.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
i didn't really get into much new music this year. but i did just hear of smith and westerns and i'm checking them out now.
28. What did you want and get?
a computer. a nintendo 3DS XL. a wii. to do my own work.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
that's hard. because nothing really blew me away. there were certainly a lot of GOOD movies, but many that were the best are not ones i could watch again. like gravity. and those that i would like to own were not the best ones, like hobbit: desolation of smaug.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
i literally didn't get to celebrate much. i went home for father's day and then i took my birthday off. carin, kit, and cari met me for lunch at sen yai, and that was the nicest part. and then we held callbacks for good woman of setzuan that night. but i was in the middle of four different shows and derek was in the middle of a couple. there just wasn't time for anything.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
maybe a little more downtime? idk. it was a pretty satisfying year, actually.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
jeans took a backseat this year, since i gained enough weight to make the ones i had uncomfortable. i wore a LOT more dresses and skirts this year, especially jean skirts.
34. What kept you sane?
plowing through. knowing that i was doing good work. i'm not actually sure that i did stay sane, actually.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
i switch back and forth, but this year was mostly ewan.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
the legalization of gay marriage in MN!!! go #12!
37. Who did you miss?
sarah. brigid and jesse, once they left.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
it seems like i always meet a million people. this year's hall of fame: brian columbus, mame pelletier, topher pirkl, joe swanson, maggie sotos, derek ewing, dana bye, laura mason, rachel flynn, andrew troth, karen bix, molly pach, paytie mccandless, foster johns, stephanie foxen, gemma irish, and sean mcardle.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
it only takes a split second for you to be very lucky.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm a shooting star leaping through the skies
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva
I'm gonna go go go
There's no stopping me